Thursday, December 11, 2008

Church Planting Thought #1


Now I have had a hard time distinguishing it is my pride, or my desire for progress that thinks things, especially churches should grow. I really like it when things grow. By growth I mean: numerically, in spiritual health-meaning broken people becoming healed, and in churches that plant churches. That seems healthy.




There are those that believe that what a church is-it is. If it is a church of 40 then that is it. I tend to think that there are reasons for it being a church of 40. Now let me be clear, a small church does not mean an unhealthy church. I am of the opinion the world needs more churches and different churches. BUT, the argument you often hear from small churches is.....well every church doesn't have to be a mega church. I tend to agree. Regardless, my observations would say, a church of 40 is unlikely to survive past 1 generation.




That means once the founding pastor resigns, that church will likely fold for a number of reasons. The leadership of a small church requires a greater burden on the pastor to be bivocational. A small church is not able to support a pastor. Secondly, a small church really gets built around the pastor and transitioning to a new leader is extremely difficult. Now a church closing, I have come to realize, is not the end of the world, but....


If a church wants to be around for successive generations needs to have a size of at least 100. Many say 150 is a 'critical mass'. Small churches if they are concerned about their community, about the people that depend on them, should be planning either grow, or be prepared to transition the community into a place where the long term care of the community can be provided aka. help them go elsewhere.






feel free to comment, this is about refining thoughts.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

yea Rob, I have thought alot about church growth too...there is something so great about having a community small enough that people know you when you walk in, and you pretty much know everyone...something special. you get known and loved in a very cool way.
i don't want a church that feels like a corporation, but a family. nevertheless we should be about growing, shouldn't we?

sigh...it is a difficult question.