Thursday, December 11, 2008

advent ideas


So I have been searching for creative things about advent. ADVENT- You know that strange word for the 40 days before Christmas. It means, something....
In Latin, it actually means 'the coming' or 'before the coming'...it is the time we sit in darkness before....the BABY. (A little reminiscent of my life this year).

I actually like it just about as much as lent. I think it is probably the most important thing for us as Christians to remember and celebrate. Darkness, Longing, Hope, Despair, WAITING.....
Proost....a creative uk group has several things to engage churches. Including a snazzy litl' video I want to show at church.
Marshill has their congregation doing a community blog...
My personal favorites are still posts by Jonny Baker. Jonny just finished beer and carols....(man I can't believe I haven't met this guy). Search his links for advent...worship tricks 48-51
Jonny also lists some awesome ideas from Cheryl Lawrie, 'the pregnant pause' an idea that i stole.....with love. Cheryl has some advent services that are very creative and thoughtful.
If it takes all your faith to simply survive advent,join your prayer to those
throughout timeand throughout the worldwho despair at hope’s promise.
Take a baby,hold it in your hand
make your prayer of protestor your prayer for peace.
If you are looking for a video cause that is your thing, the church of england has put together a series of meditations you can watch every day......its called why we are waiting. It is also a great explanation of advent.
My Advent Addition: Last week I bought the youth candles. We had been talking about the word 'saved'. I made the connection between knowing you need something and WAITING. I told them to remember their need as they waited for a savior....in the dark....as they studied. Burn the little, fragile light and LONG FOR, and WAIT FOR IT.












1 comment:

Shelley said...

loved the candle idea. thanks